Dear Parents and Guardians,
There has been a great deal of coverage in the media about the coronavirus lately. We are writing to share the district’s efforts to ensure the health and safety of all students in our buildings. On February 25, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued an update in which they stated that, despite the coronavirus being detected within the U.S., the virus is not spreading throughout the country, The CDC is reporting that the risk to the general American public remains low. Furthermore, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) has informed us that to date, no cases have been confirmed in Ohio.
James A. Garfield Local School District is working closely with ODH and other county agencies to monitor the situation. Local and State agencies are prepared if cases arise in our community. Should a situation arise, we are prepared to implement public health recommendations and guidance as required. Updated information will be shared with the community and posted on this webpage as it would become available.
As a best practice for overall health in cold and influenza season, JAG and the CDC recommend that everyone engages in everyday, preventive measures to prevent the spread of germs and avoid illness, such as:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching eyes, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with individuals who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. The CDC recommends that individuals remain home for at least 24 hours after you no longer have a fever or signs of a fever (i.e., chills, feeling warm, flushed appearance).
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately discard the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Take any anti-viral medication prescribed to you as instructed.
All of these practices are shared with our staff and students and we encourage their practice at home as well.
Additional information for the U.S. is available on the CDC website (odh.ohio.gov) which is updated on this topic every Tuesday and Thursday at 2pm.
James A. Garfield Local Schools